Multisite

Implementing WordPress Multisite


Multisite Denouement

It’s now October and I am looking back on the entire multisite process. Once I cracked the code and documented the conversion process, it took me only 5-10 minutes per site to bring the site up. I got everything done by the end of August and started the conversation with MKP about the final phase: converting the existing sites to use the new features. I had lots on my plate in September so I didn’t push this, but it wound up pushing back just yesterday. (more…)


Multisite Day #20 – Perseverance Pays Off

I’ts kind of weird how I can hit a wall, get totally stuck, reach out for help and in the moment that the help arrives, I see the problem. That was what happened today. I used another 1/2 hour from a consultant I paid for two months ago and as soon as he got on line, I spotted the problem with my configuration. A quick fix and the site stopped looping and came up just fine. But the next step is still problematic… (more…)


Multisite Day #18 & 19

Tuesday

I got a clue about the looping from our ISP. He told me to use the Chrome debugging tools (which I use all the time) and watch the network panel. I did and he was right. I could see that a particular page was looping, so I started dropping trace statements into the code. It wasn’t pretty but it got me to the point where I could pin down exactly where the problem lay. Unfortunately I could not inspect any variables. All I could do is write values into the log.

I did all this on Monday night after a long day, so once I had pinned down where the problem lay, I put it to rest for the night.

Wednesday

I walked through the code on my desktop and tightened up the diagnostics on my local version, but I couldn’t duplicate the problem. My local code went into Multisite just fine. But I did have instrumented code to work with. Until the shit hit the fan again. (more…)


Multisite Day #17 – Here we go loop-de-loop

Donna and I were driving to Fairhaven to meet my brother and his wife. They were thinking about moving to Bellingham. I was thinking about Boysen’s clue that it was Thesis 185 again. I had looked at the diagnostic logs generated by my RHJ4 Diagnostics plugin and suddenly the dots connected. (more…)


Multisite Day #16 – Killed It Again!

Multisite Day #16 – Killed It Again!

I was committed to getting the main site working under the Thesis 185 theme and with multisite.The main site (mkpusa.org) had been running on an old version, Thesis 181, and it was time to bite the bullet and convert it to 185. The last time I tried this, it killed the site. This time was going to be better. Or maybe not. (more…)