I got a clue about the looping from our ISP. He told me to use the Chrome debugging tools (which I use all the time) and watch the network panel. I did and he was right. I could see that a particular page was looping, so I started dropping trace statements into the code. It wasn’t pretty but it got me to the point where I could pin down exactly where the problem lay. Unfortunately I could not inspect any variables. All I could do is write values into the log.
I did all this on Monday night after a long day, so once I had pinned down where the problem lay, I put it to rest for the night.
I walked through the code on my desktop and tightened up the diagnostics on my local version, but I couldn’t duplicate the problem. My local code went into Multisite just fine. But I did have instrumented code to work with. Until the shit hit the fan again. (more…)