Once the site returned, I realized that I was glad it was down for a couple days. The down time gave me some perspective. There was so much to do that my mind was spinning. When this happens, it is time to break the problem into smaller problems.
I walked through the WordPress dashboard and studied each menu item and as I did so, clarity emerged. I realized that I needed a comprehensive procedure manual that would walk someone through the entire multisite configuration process for each site, each theme and each plugin. That document is now 25 pages and growing rapidly and will remain my primary focus until all of it’s contents are defined and then I will begin testing the document. I expect to be ready to dive into testing by this coming weekend.